top of page

How does Getting Married Affect Your Tax Situation?

June has arrived and so has wedding season! Marriage effects every aspect of your life – and that includes taxes. Did you know that the IRS has created a checklist for newly married couples?

Newly Married Checklist

Step 1: Name & Address Change

  • Name: If you are changing your name after you get married, you must report the name change to the Social Security Administration. The name on a person’s tax return must match what is on file at the SSA. If it doesn’t, it could delay any tax refund.

  • To update information, taxpayers should file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, available at

  • Or call: 800-772-1213

  • You may also get a form at your local SSA office.

  • Address. If marriage means a change of address, the IRS and U.S. Postal Service need to know.

  • Send the IRS a completed Form 8822, Change of Address.

  • Download Here: Form 8822,Change of Address.

  • Notify the post office online to forward your mail at: or visit your local post office.

Step 2: Withholding

Step 3: Filing Status

  • Married couples can choose to file their federal income taxes jointly or separately each year.

  • While filing jointly is usually more beneficial, it’s best to figure the tax both ways to find out which works best.

  • You can reach out to the team at Collom CPA to get a better understanding your specific tax situation.

  • If a couple is married as of December 31, the law says they’re married for the whole year for tax purposes.

Beware of Scams

  • All taxpayers should be aware of and avoid tax scams.

  • The IRS will never initiate contact using email, phone calls, social media or text messages. First contact generally comes in the mail.

  • Taxpayers who wonder if they owe money to the IRS can click here to view their tax account information on .

To review how marriage, divorce, childbirth or any other life event can affect your taxes, Click Here

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page